Family and General Practitioners are doctors trained to provide comprehensive medical care for people of all ages, from newborns to the elderly. They diagnose and treat a variety of conditions, disorders, and diseases. They also provide preventive care, including routine checkups, screenings, and immunizations.
In Singapore, a family doctor works in different settings, including private practices, clinics, and hospitals. They may also be a primary care team member, including other family doctors, specialists, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
How Family Doctors Can Help With Your Health Needs
Taking a proactive approach to your health is always the best policy. A family practitioner can provide you with the guidance and support you need to make healthy choices and maintain a healthy lifestyle. A family doctor in Singapore can offer a broad range of services, including:
– Routine checkups and physical examinations
– Screenings for conditions, disorders, and diseases
– Immunizations and vaccinations
– Health counselling and guidance
– Diagnosis and treatment of conditions, disorders, and diseases
– Prescribing medications
– Referring you to specialists for further diagnosis and treatment, if necessary
Importance of Having a Family Doctor
A family doctor is essential for several reasons:
#1. They provide comprehensive care for you and your family
As you age, your health needs also change. You wouldn’t want to seek out care from a paediatrician. Likewise, you wouldn’t want to look for a geriatric doctor for your child.
A family doctor is just that: A doctor who will offer comprehensive care for every family member at any stage of life. That means you and your loved ones can spend less time worrying about finding the right doctor and more time enjoying your life together.
#2 They provide different medical services
Family doctors provide urgent care and treat minor injuries and illnesses. They can also offer preventive care services like screenings and immunizations and manage chronic conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure.
Some family doctors also offer alternative services like acupuncture and homoeopathy to help you manage your health more holistically.
#3. They get to know you and your family
A family doctor who takes care of your family will better understand your family health history and offer more personalised care. They can also better understand how your family dynamics may affect your health.
For example, if you have a family history of heart disease, your family doctor will be more likely to recommend lifestyle changes or screenings to help you prevent the condition.
#4. They provide continuity of care
Continuity of care means that you will see the same family doctor every time you visit the clinic. That is important because your doctor will get to know your medical history and be more familiar with your health needs. In turn, you will be more comfortable discussing sensitive health information with them.
A family doctor is also more likely to see subtle changes in your health that you may not have noticed.
#5. They can help you navigate the healthcare system
The healthcare system in Singapore can be confusing, especially if you don’t have a regular doctor. A family doctor can help you navigate the system and get the care you need. They can also act as a liaison between you and other specialists.
For example, if you need to see a cardiologist, your family doctor can refer you to one. They can also follow up with you to ensure you’re getting the care you need.
Choosing a Family Doctor in Singapore
Having a reliable family doctor is an integral part of maintaining good health. However, how do you separate the wheat from chaff? Here are some things to consider when choosing a family doctor:
– Location: When choosing a family doctor, you need to consider how far you’re willing to travel for appointments.
– Hours: Find out what hours the family doctor is available so that you can plan around them.
– Services: Make sure the family doctor offers the services you’re looking for, like preventive care or alternative therapies.
– Insurance: Also, find out if the family doctor accepts your insurance. You’ll want to make sure you’re covered before making an appointment.
– Personality: Finally, yet importantly, choose a family doctor you’re comfortable with. You should feel like you can openly discuss your health concerns with them.